1. Will there be Sarajevo Film Festival in 2021?
The 27th edition of Sarajevo Film Festival is scheduled to be held both physically and online from 13th to 20th August 2021.
2. How many programme sections are open for film/drama series submission?
The 27th edition of Sarajevo Film Festival has 14 programmes open for film/drama series submissions. Please refer to Article 2 (Programmes) of the film/drama series Rules & Regulations.
3. I am concerned about COVID-19, will Sarajevo be secure for travelling in August, does your country ask for an negative test, „corona-pass“ or similar document?
Sarajevo Film Festival will keep following the most effective and advanced protection/security measures against COVID-19 and other known dangers, as well. The Festival is operating by latest instructions from the local government as well as the EU, WHO and other competent authorities. The Festival will inform its audiences and guests in due time about the arrival options to Sarajevo via its official web-page and/or social media. At this moment (February 2021), with a negative PCR test everyone can enter Bosnia and Herzegovina and quarantine is not required.
1. I want to submit my film to the Competition Programme for the selection consideration process, but my country is not on the list of production countries, what should I do?
Sarajevo Film Festival dedicates its Competition Programme solely to regional film, showing world, international, European and regional premieres of films from Albania, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Kosovo*, North Macedonia, Malta, Moldavia, Montenegro, Romania, Serbia, Slovenia and Turkey.
Please check the eligibility for other programmes and submit your film accordingly.
2. I want to speak to someone at your Festival about the submission of my film, can I talk with the programmers directly?
The only way to submit a film and to be considered for Sarajevo Film Festival’s selections is by submitting it through the official film submission platform (Eventival). Please note that our staff handles thousands of film submissions each year. After you submit your film/drama series it will be reviewed at least twice by the professional programmers. However, for any information not found in the Rules & Regulations and FAQ please refer to email@example.com
3. I want to submit my short film of 31 minutes in length or a feature film of 59 minutes in length, will they be eligible?
Short films with more than 30 minutes in length and feature films with less than 60 minutes in length, so called „medium-length“ films are eligible only for a submission into the Competition Programme – Documentary Film, Competition Programme – Student Film and BH Film programme, if other criteria for these programmes are met. If such film gets submitted into other programmes it will be automatically disqualified, even if you mark it with 30 or 60 minutes in length, the screener length has the priority.
4. I have uploaded my film into YouTube but accidentally left it open for public, will it be still eligible even if there are not many views of it?
Unfortunately, your film has had a World Premiere on YouTube and as such is deemed as ineligible.
5. My film is neither a fiction or documentary but docu-fiction film, should I submit it into your fiction or documentary programme?
In such situation you need to determine the predominant genre of the film. If the documentary genre is more dominant you should consider your film as a documentary film for the selection consideration process, and vice versa.
6. My feature film is from the Region defined by the Festival, should I submit the film into one of your Competition programmes or into other programmes?
If your film has met the eligibility criteria for one of the Competition programmes, then it will have a priority for submission into these programmes. If not, please check the eligibility criteria of the other programmes and submit your film accordingly.
7. I am independent filmmaker or an owner of very small film studio/production company, are there any chances for the selection if I submit my film into your Open Air programme?
Sarajevo Film Festival is open for film/drama series submissions from first time and professional filmmakers as well for students, amateurs, and non-professionals as long as they demonstrate the talent and effort embedded in their film. The message and production value of your film is what gets it selected, not the size of your company or film crew.
8. Should I submit my feature film into your Kinoscope or Summer Screen programme for the selection consideration process?
If your film is based on music and pop culture or it is experimental you should consider submitting it into the Summer Screen programme. Otherwise, please read all eligibility criteria for the Kinoscope programme to determine if it is eligible for submission.
9. My feature film is from continent another than Europe, is it still eligible for your Festival?
There are plenty of programme sections open for international film submissions, please check the Articles 2 in the film submission Rules & Regulations.
10. My short film is from United Kingdom, is it still eligible for submission into your European Shorts programme for the selection consideration process?
If other eligibility criteria for the European Shorts programme are met, a short film from United Kingdom is eligible for submission. The European Shorts programme is showcase of European* short films, not solely for EU films.
*European in the sense of the European Film Academy, means geographical Europe, both EU and non-EU, and includes Israel and Palestine.
11. I cannot determine if my film is suitable for the Children's or TeenArena programme, where should I submit it?
If your film is based on children and the focus of the film relates to their stories you should consider submitting it into the Children's programme for the selection consideration process. If your film is based on teenagers and the focus of the film relates to their stories, then you should consider submitting it into the TeenArena programme. Either way you cannot go wrong much as the programmers will determine the right programme for your film and move the film submission accordingly.
12. I work for a production/distribution company or film academy with dozens of short films ready for submission and it takes too much time to submit them via Eventival. Is there any chance that I can send you a „.pdf“ catalogue for film review process?
No matter how long it takes you to submit a film, the processing and reviewing time is much longer. The programmers are dealing with several thousand of film submissions through the official film submission platform and there will be no time or space available to review any of your films if sent by any other way for the selection consideration.
14. At this moment, I have completed only one episode of my drama series, is it still eligible for submission into your Avant Premiere programme?
For the selection, it is necessary to submit the first episode (rough cuts can also be considered), but ideally you should have at least two episodes finished for the Festival screening.
14. Can I provide you with a preview screener other than YouTube/Vimeo link?
Yes, you can. As long as it is stable, can be streamed without any technical issues, available and password protected by the end of August, so you would not lose the premiere status of your film. Please note that the screener must have English subtitles if there are non-English dialogues in the film.
15. I have completed my film screener but haven't managed to encode the English subtitles into it, can I submit such screener and send you the „.srt“ subtitles by e-mail?
No, as your film submission will be tagged as non-completed and eventually as not eligible. You can reencode your screener with the English subtitles with Handbrake or another free software or upload it into Vimeo with separate English „.srt“ file which will be automatically viewable.
16. Are there any deadlines for film/drama series submission into the Sarajevo Film Festival?
Please refer to the Film Submission Rules & Regulations and the Article 3.2. (Submission deadlines).
17. I do not trust any internet platforms for sharing the screener of my film, could I send you a DVD screener by mail?
The only way to review your film and consider it for the selection is by providing an online screener/preview copy with English subtitles (if non-English dialogues featured in the film). All DVD screeners received will be flagged as not eligible. You can secure and password protect your screener with Vimeo or lock it on YouTube. Furthermore, there are plenty of premium screener sharing platforms with strong privacy protection and security.
18. Can I send you a DCP version for previewing purposes?
Please note that submitting a DCP for previewing purposes should be authorized by the Festival. Please contact the Programme department, firstname.lastname@example.org.
19. What happens if I change my film submission e-mail address after the film submission, how can I know the status of my film?
In the event of an e-mail address change, password change or preview link change after submission, you must e-mail the Festival at email@example.com immediately. Please clarify the change occurred, so your record can be updated. If the Festival is not notified of the change and the link is found to be inactive or the password to be incorrect, the submission may be deemed ineligible.
20. I have submitted my film/s and/or drama series, when can I expect to receive the selection results?
In the case the programming team decides not to include a submitted film / drama series in selection, filmmakers will be notified as soon as possible, and no later than July 18, 2021.
21. I want to see the full screening schedule of your Festival, where can I find it?
The full screening schedule will be announced in August 2021, the latest one week prior to the Festival. It will be announced publicly on the Festival's web page as well promoted via social media.
22. I have accepted the invitation to participate at your Festival but in the meantime received another invitation from a festival that takes place earlier than Sarajevo FF, can we disregard my participation?
Once the film/drama series has been selected and the invitation to participate at the Festival is accepted, film/drama series cannot be withdrawn from the Festival programme.
23. I have received an invitation to participate at your Festival as well as to another Festival, but I cannot make my final decision, what should I do?
The Sarajevo Film Festival cannot impose your decision, but the Festival team is committed to the best presentation and promotion of your film and will encourage the further festival life of your film.
24. I have submitted a film to your Festival but have received invitation/s from another festival/s as well, could you provide me with your selection decision right now?
You can email firstname.lastname@example.org to inform the team, but unfortunately, we will not be able to help you decide about your participation and we cannot guarantee that your film will be considered earlier due to this information.
25. I have submitted a film/drama series to the Festival, when will I be notified of the decision?
During the second half of July the official decision will be sent to the submitter’s e-mail address. Please make sure to provide an e-mail address that is frequently checked. The decisions will not be disclosed directly by chat, phone or e-mail, thus we strongly discourage you to contact us to regarding the final decision. Your patience will be appreciated a lot.
26. Do you watch every film/drama series submitted?
Yes, all submissions are reviewed at least twice and considered fairly and thoroughly by the professional international programming team. Please note that the programmers might view your film submission outside the Festival submission platform (through other platforms and industry events worldwide). Moreover, keep in mind that Vimeo statistics are not always accurately recorded, especially when an embedded video or third-party player is used so you can receive a false result at your statistics. For more information about Vimeo's analytics and third-party players please visit their FAQ page.
27. I have accepted the invitation to your Festival, can I share the information?
The information about film selection to the Festival for each film must remain strictly confidential between the Festival Management and the Participant until the Festival makes an official announcement.
28. My film has been selected but the post-production is not completed yet, what is the latest deadline for sending you a screening copy?
The latest deadline to send us a digital DCP and online screening copies is July 23, 2021. The latest deadline to send us a hard drive with aforementioned screening copies is July 29, 2021. The Festival strives to be an eco-friendly festival so we strongly recommend delivering the screening Copies via internet as it will save both of us a lot of time and energy as well a lot of trees.
29. My film has been selected but the publicity/catalogue materials are not yet ready, what is the latest deadline for sending them?
The programming department will ask you for the publicity/catalogue materials immediately upon your Festival invitation and participation acceptance. They will send you a list of publicity/catalogue materials needed as well as the latest deadline to receive them. The requested materials should be sent/submitted as soon as possible upon acceptance of the invitation. The Festival accepts no liability if its publications reproduce inaccuracies in submitted materials.
30. My film has been selected and I want to send you film posters by mail, do you accept it?
Please send us all publicity/catalogue materials, including digital posters via internet only. The Festival staff will ask you for the high-quality digital posters and they will be printed in Sarajevo.
31. I have completed my film and accepted your invitation, but I cannot promise that the English subtitles will be made on time, how should we proceed?
Please refer to the film submission Rules & Regulations and Article 4.5. (Subtitling)
32. My film has been selected and I want to produce an DCP. Is DKDM or KDM necessary?
The DKDM or KDM is not necessary and you can provide us with a non-encrypted DCP.
33. My film has been selected but I am student or amateur filmmaker and I do not have an DCP production experience or capabilities, what should I do?
In such (justified) case please contact the Programming Department at email@example.com and they will provide you with all necessary information.
34. My company is working with other courier than DHL, can we use their services to deliver the screening Copy?
The Festival and DHL are in partnership and as such DHL can provide both parties the fastest and the best service for the screening copy delivery. If you insist to use another courier service, please note that the customs clearance process in Bosnia and Herzegovina may be delayed for unknown time so it is recommended to send the shipment long way before the deadline.
35. My film has been selected and I am delivering you physical screening copies, will Festival cover the shipping in both directions?
The Festival will cover one way shipping cost for all selected films and drama series, unless otherwise agreed. The Festival will be responsible for customs clearance in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
36. Do you accept re-submissions of the films/drama series?
If the film or drama series was previously submitted to the Festival for the consideration, the film/drama series will not be eligible. However, we will accept a „new cut“ of the film/drama series that was previously submitted to SFF, provided that the film/drama series meets the eligibility requirements. A „new cut“ should feature the substantial changes, including but not limited to: reshoots, editing or a new runtime. Please submit a brief statement with your submission with reference to all changes.
37. Can I submit more than one film/drama series?
Yes, you can submit more than one film or drama series. You must complete separate submission forms for each film/drama series, but it can be done under the same Eventival account. Please note that you will be required to process the submission fee for each film/drama series submission, if otherwise not concluded.
38. Can I submit my film to more than one category?
No. We require that each film to be submitted to one category. If after viewing your submission the programmers feels that your film is better suited to another programme section, they may refer your film internally. Please note that if the Programmer evaluates your film and decides it does not fulfil the programme section requirements, he or she may be able to add another category or move your film submission into the adequate programme section without sending any e-mail or notification about it (without any additional fees). Please carefully read the Rules & Regulations and submit your film accordingly. If you still have doubts in which programme section your film fits the best, please contact us for support at firstname.lastname@example.org
39. I have submitted my film into the Competition Programme, but it has been reviewed in another one, what is the reason?
Films that have been submitted into the Competition Programmes may not be necessarily selected to be “in competition” for awards purposes. The Programmers may move your submission into other suitable section to be considered for the selection without any notification sent before the end of the film submission process.
40. Do you accept work-in-progress films/drama series?
The Festival does accept work-in-progress copies of films/drama series, and the programmers usually watch them even if the final elements are not included, such as sound and/or colour grade. Before submitting a work-in-progress version of your film/drama series please know that due to the high volume of submissions we receive, we can only accept and review one version of your screener and will not be able to accept any updated version later in the submission process. Should your film/drama series get invited to the Festival, the final version has to be completed and delivered to SFF by July 1, 2021.
41. Do you accept extended-reality, VR, AR or MR submissions?
The Festival does not accept these submissions.
42. Can I submit documentaries to your shorts categories?
Yes, if the runtime of your film is under 30 minutes (including credits) and the film meets the eligibility requirements of the any of the following programme sections: Competition Programme Student Film, European Shorts and BH Film programme. Please note that the Competition Programme Documentary Film programme section will accept a documentary film of any duration if other eligibility criteria are met.
43. What is your Avant Premiere programme section?
Avant Premiere is a showcase for the presentation and promotion of drama series from Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Serbia and Slovenia.
Director, the majority of authors and production company must be from one of the above-mentioned countries. For the selection, it is necessary to submit first episode (rough cuts can also be considered), but to have at least two episodes finished for the Festival screening.
Please refer to the Film Submission Rules & Regulations for details and eligibility criteria for this programme section.
44. Does my film need to be completed by a certain date in order to be eligible for your Festival?
Please refer to the Article 2 (Programmes) of the film submission Rules & Regulations.
45. How do I know if my film fits in your BH Film programme section?
If the director of the film, you are submitting is:
• a Bosnian citizen or permanent resident of Bosnia & Herzegovina (or if the Director of the film is of Bosnian origin living abroad and the film has been made about Bosnia & Herzegovina)
• most of your film crew is from Bosnia & Herzegovina
• Bosnia & Herzegovina is listed as one of the countries of production
then your film can be submitted in the BH Film programme section. If you do not meet the aforementioned criteria, please submit to the appropriate international category. Please note that you can submit your film into the BH Film programme section if the main film theme is strongly related to Bosnia and/or about Bosnia & Herzegovina even if you do not meet the aforementioned criteria.
46. Could you provide me with your premiere status definitions?
The Festival will recognize following premiere status for your film submissions:
World Premiere — The film will not have a public presentation before its scheduled presentation at the Festival.
International Premiere — The film will not have a public presentation anywhere outside its country of origin before its scheduled presentation at the Festival.
European Premiere — The film will not have a public presentation anywhere in Europe before its scheduled presentation at the Festival.
Regional Premiere – The film will not have a public presentation anywhere in regional countries defined by the Festival before its scheduled presentation at the Festival.
National Premiere — The film will not have a public presentation anywhere in Bosnia & Herzegovina before its scheduled presentation at the Festival.
N/A — The film has had a public presentation in Sarajevo and/or Bosnia & Herzegovina and therefore will not have a premiere status.
47. What is a public screening?
A screening where the public attended, and the event was advertised and/or ticketed will be considered as public screening. An exception to this would be if the public attended, but there was a nondisclosure agreement and no advertising, and/or a private friends-and-family/cast or crew screening. There may also be exclusions for compulsory school showcases.
48. My film has been selected to your Festival and it will be presented on your online edition too, where will it be available for preview?
The films selected for the Competition programmes will be screened on-line on Festival’s ondemand platform with geoblocking for territory of ex Yugoslavia (Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, North Macedonia, Montenegro and Kosovo*) for 1500 viewers maximum.
The online availability and film screening terms for the titles which are selected as part of other non-competition programmes will be discussed and arranged between Fesival Management and film representatives.
49. My film has been selected to your Festival and it will be presented on your online edition too, does it affect it's premiere status?
When films have been presented online with geoblocking, our regular premiere status will apply.
50. My film has been invited to the non-competition section, do we have to have a film representative in Sarajevo?
Please Refer to the Rules & Regulations Section 2 (Programmes). For any additional information please be free to discuss it with the programmer of the non-competition section where you have been invited.
1. Are there any fees to submit a film/drama series to the Sarajevo Film Festival for the selection consideration process?
You can submit your film into the Competition and BH Film programmes for free if they meet the criteria of these programmes. All other programmes are requiring the submission fee of 70 BAM or 35 EUR for feature length film and 30 BAM or 15 EUR for short length film. Please refer to the Film Submission Rules & Regulations and the Article 3.3. (Submission fees and obligations).
2. I have submitted my film and paid the submission fee, but I believe it was submitted in the wrong section, can I receive a refund?
Entry fees in Bosnian BAM and in European EUR, are per film and are non-refundable. The best thing we can do is to review your film again and move it into the corresponded programme for the selection consideration process.
3. I am submitting multiple films at once, could I submit them for a single submission fee?
You will be required to process the submission fee for each of your additional film project/submission, currently there is no option to process the fee for a batch or package of film submissions.
4. I work for a production/distribution company or film academy with dozens of short films ready for submission. Is there any chance that I can receive an „fee waiver“ for them or at least an discounted film submission fee for the whole package?
Currently there is no option for a discounted fee when submitting multiple films. The Selection Committee and programmers preserve the right to choose carefully and provide the filmmakers with very small number of „fee waivers“ available.
5. Will you accept Bitcoin or another cryptocurrency as a form of the payment?
The Festival currently does not accept Bitcoin or any other cryptocurrency as a form of the payment for the submission fees.
6. Do you offer refunds for film/drama series submission payments?
Once an entry payment has been received a refund cannot be claimed. If a payment is disputed by a submitter for any reason, the submitter may be subject to any transaction fees or similar amounts incurred by Festival in connection with the dispute.
7. I have submitted a film/drama series for your consideration, but it happened that my colleagues did it too for the same film. Could you disregard one submission and refund my submission fee?
Please note that Festival does not offer any refund for the identical film submitted more than one time and the film submission will be tagged as not eligible in the system. Please liaise with your producers, sales agents and/or distributors before submitting your film to our Festival.
8. I have submitted my film to certain programme/section and paid for it, but it happened it has been reviewed in another non desired section, can I get my money back?
Sarajevo Film Festival reserves all the rights to switch the entry category of your film submission or assign a category to fit programming needs and interests. The films will not be penalized for the original submission selection and Festival does not offer any refund.
9. Do you provide invoices for submissions?
No, the Festival does not provide any invoices for submissions. However, you will receive a receipt for your submission directly from Eventival.
10. I am living in an country which is under heavy economic and bank international sanctions so I am unable to process any payment for my film submission, could you provide me with an „fee waiver“?
If your film submission country has international sanctions with fully restrictions of international transfers/payments and you are unable to process the film submission fee, please contact us at email@example.com.
NOTE: These FAQs are intended to assist you with your film/drama series submission and to help you understand the 2021 Sarajevo Film Festival film/drama series Rules & Regulations for submission through Eventival.com. We advise you to read through these film/drama series Rules & Regulations in full. If you find any conflict between these FAQs and the film/drama series Rules & Regulations, the film/drama series Rules & Regulations will prevail.